Join the team
Terms of Reference
Documentation of Good Practices, Lessons Learnt and Success Stories
Background and Context
HERAF is a national non-governmental organization that promotes human rights-based approach in health care delivery. It was established in 2006 and registered by the NGO Coordination Board in 2007 as Health Rights Advocacy Forum (HERAF). HERAF has practical experience and strategies of over 11 years in engaging in policy and budget advocacy and social accountability.
During the 2017 – 2021 strategic period key projects implemented focused on leadership and governance, Mental Health, and Water Hygiene and Sanitation (WASH) in Health Facilities (HCF). HERAF promoted civil society organizations (CSOs) participation, engagement, and oversight in governance at the national and county levels. Key interventions included public participation in policy dialogue forums, planning, budgeting, monitoring public services, and tracking utilization of public resources.
Though the organisation has been able to accomplish several projects successfully over the period, the capacity to assess, document and share best practices and lessons learned remained a challenge. In order to address this gap, the organisation is issuing a short-term consultancy to a suitable candidate to facilitate documentation of good practices, lessons learnt and success stories in projects implemented in last five (5) years in Nyeri County.
Objectives of the Consultancy
The overall objective of the consultancy is to take stock of the achievements made by HERAF for the past five (5) years in Nyeri County.
- Document the best practices and lessons learned during the projects implementation cycle in the form of narrative, case stories, photographs and documentary film.
- Capture and document case stories that have evolved during the projects implementation cycle with relevant photographs showcasing changes and impacts brought out by the project.
Scope of Work
- Prepare and present an inception report indicating the consultant’s understanding of the assignment, the proposed methodology, timeframe and budget.
- Refine the methodology based on the inputs and comments and prepare a checklist of topical themes-for documenting best practices, lessons and case stories for approval by management.
- Review existing literature including reports and carry out key informant interviews to draw lessons learnt in implementation of projects.
- Present the draft report during a validation and dissemination workshop with the organization and other stakeholders. The draft report should be presented in soft and hard copies and will consist of: a) Narrative of best practices and lessons; b) Case Stories and c) Photographs with captions.
- Present to management and stakeholders meeting a 3 to 5 minutes documentary film of key achievements, lessons learnt and key recommendations for final comments.
- An inception report with a clear methodology, time frame and final checklist and the content of themes and topics to be documented as best practices/lessons/case stories.
- The draft report incorporating a) Narrative of Best Practices and Lessons, b) 3 case stories and 50 pictures.
- A power-point presentation for use during validation and dissemination workshops.
- A ready to print and professionally designed final report comprising of best practices/lessons, case stories and photographs
- A final 3 to 5 minutes documentary video of key achievements, lessons learnt and key recommendations with subtitles in English.
Duration and Administration of the Consultancy
The consultancy will be carried out for a period of 14 days from the time of contract signing by both parties including consultation, field visit and preparation and submission of final report.
Qualification and Experience
- Master’s degree in a field relevant to the assignment, such as Communication, Development Studies, Public Policy and Social Development among others.
- At least 3 years work experience in documentation of best practices, lessons and case stories.
- At least 3 years of professional experience in professional photography and videography.
- Proven experience in stakeholder engagement and strong interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Proficiency in written and spoken English and Kiswahili.
Qualified and interested candidates should submit:
- Technical proposal consisting of understanding of the assignment, methodology and capacity statement indicating relevant qualification, skills, experience in similar consultancies and curriculum vitae.
- Work plan and financial proposal
How to Apply
HERAF is an equal opportunity partner.
Terms of Reference (TOR) for Consultant to Strengthen Board Members Capacity on their Roles and Responsibilities
HERAF is a national non-governmental organization that promotes human rights-based approach in health care delivery. To achieve this HERAF promotes and calls for fulfilment of human rights relating to health and acts as a catalyst for changes in development, implementation and oversight of laws and policies relating to health.
The organisation has steady governance and management structures. One of the key areas that the Organisational Capacity Assessment (OCA) identified for strengthening was the board formation, development and operations.
Purpose of the Consultancy:
Strengthen the governance capacity of HERAF Board to ensure members are well informed to execute their roles and responsibilities.
Scope of Work:
- General familiarisation of HERAF including review of organisational documents especially the constitution and board manual.
- Conduct performance and capacity training needs assessment.
- Develop capacity training workshop programme, notes and reference materials.
- Facilitate capacity training workshop.
- Review and update the board manual.
- An inception report that details the methodology to be undertaken and the approach that the consultant will employ.
- Performance and capacity training needs report
- Capacity training workshop report.
- Updated board manual
Duration of the Consultancy:
The consultancy is expected to last 7 working days starting July 2022.
Qualifications and Experience of Consultant
A consultant/consultancy firm with demonstrable experience and expertise as follows:
- Master’s degree in areas of relevance to this consultancy.
- Understanding NGOs governance issues.
- Evidence of developing effective systems including NGOs governance documents, Board policies and manuals
- Ability to assess board functions, identify and document gaps for capacity development, repackage and deliver training programme.
- Technical proposal detailing understanding of the task, proposed methodologies of the consultancy, work plan, expected outputs and deliverables.
- Budget proposal indicating only the professional fees required for the assignment.
- Detailed CVs of the professional who will work on the Consultancy Assignment.
- If applying as a firm, the consultant must provide Certificate of Incorporation or Business Registration and Tax compliance certificate.
- Provide at least 3 professional referees from your previous clients and full contact details of the referees.
Deadline for applications
Interested applicants are requested to send their applications to email@example.com by July 12, 2022. HERAF is an equal opportunity employer.
Note: Only successful candidates will be contacted.